Salient features of Anti-Rape Bill :
- For the first time acid attack has been defined as a separate IPC offence.
- In case of rape in which victim either dies or is left in a 'persistent vegetable state', minimum punishment is 20 years in jail, which may extend up to convicts natural life in jail or death by hanging.
- No hospital whether private or public can deny treatment to a rape victim. Such denial could result into jail term of one year.
- Age of consent for sex has been fixed with 18 years.
- Voyeurism and stalking have been defined as separate offences. First-time offenders would be granted bail, repeat offenders will bail denied bail.
About: Sneha Jaiswal - ♀ GeekUpd8 Author
An Advocate & legal blogger from Delhi, India. She joined us in Law Reporter (a Geek Upd8 law project) in June,2013. She is very interested in criminal and cyber laws.